Thursday 10 May 2012

Poor Girl's Cassoulet

Sausage casserole has never really appealed to me. Don't get me wrong I love a good banger but next a nice fried egg or in a sarnie, yum. It's got to be good quality mind, lots of free range meat and herbs, The Black Farmer's or Duchy's are my favourite, I always snap them up when they're reduced at Waitrose and store them in the freezer.

Then this week I discovered a new breed of sausage .........

So now I'm thinking more on the lines of Cassoulet, so much posher, so much more me somehow. 10 deliciously chubby little sangers mixed with sage, mixed pepper and thyme, perfect for one of my slow cooker specials.
I had a rootle in the fridge and found some 'essential' celery, mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic, coriander leaves and some left over red wine and plum tomatoes.

Browned the sausages off, took them out of the pan then cooked the veg in the same pan, added it all to the slow cooker including the celery leaves, then slow cooked all day whilst I got on with other things.


Well pop pickers it was a taste sensation, super quality, super thrifty and best of all enough for another meal saving time and energy, 'cook once eat twice'. You could bulk it up even further with some white beans or lentils and it would easily feed 5 people.

1 comment:

My Journey To Health - A Morning Walk

Up early this morning, bedlinen on the line, yes the weather is holding. Booked my Zumba class for Monday week, you have to get up early to ...