Thursday 21 March 2013

Felted Beauty

Dolls copyright Julie O'Brien
I mentioned this trio of lovelies a while ago now. Their clothes and accessories have been made from yarn that has been dyed and hand spun, and either knitted up or felted. Their very individual faces have been needle felted. Their creator is a member of the same Weavers, Spinners and Dyers Guild as me. Yesterday I was lucky enough to spend some time with her and she initiated me into the art of needle felting.

It all starts with this stuff, wool tops.


Very strong extremely soft and malleable.
I'm hoping one day if I work hard enough I may be able to create something like this.


 Here is my first offering, which let's face it has more the look of Casper the ghost or ET than Snow White.


But this little 'beauty' isn't finished yet, she may yet move on from her duckling status and become a swan. I'll keep you up to date with her progress.

5 comments:

  1. She looks promising to me! And I love her Charleston fabric backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nilly. It's funny but through the process of making her I've become quite attached. Silly me :)
      Jean x

      Delete
  2. I see her potential, I bet you'll have a swan on your hands in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious, did you get many responses from the people you nominated regarding the Liebster award? I was really surprised by the lack of responses... only one person participated so far. By the way, I love those dolls. They are adorable and don't worry, I think you did a great job for your first try... good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dee, nice to hear from you. I got a very lacklustre response which I think is a great shame.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete

Time Travelling

On our way to Mr. Straw's house the Mr and I popped along to take a look at Clumber Park. It is a 3,800 acre estate set within Sh...