Sunday 10 March 2013

Update on Smitten Kitchen Recipes.



I'm not sure if it's possible or whether I just imagined it but the grapefruit cake tasted as sunny as the egg yolks and olive oil looked. Although I have to say the grapefruity element didn't really come through, the cake could have been made with lemons. It was the idea of using grapefruit that appealed, plus they were 3 for £1.00 in Waitrose. I only used half of them for the cake so had some delicious fruit left over for later. The chicken dish made with olives and grapes was also a great success, a perfect combination of sweet and sour. I shall be cooking more from the book. But you don't have to buy the book to get access to her recipes as Deb Perelman has a great food blog. "Fearless cooking from a tiny kitchen in New York City".

I can't let today pass by without a mention for my Mum, who it has to be said was an absolute terrible cook.

My dear old Mum with my two eldest brothers and her own Mum who I sadly never met.




3 comments:

  1. Surely we always love our Mum's cooking, however dire..? I hope my kids aren't just pretending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, trust me Nilly. Uncooked pastry, vegetables boiled to a slush and wait for it, such delights as stuffed hearts and rabbit on the same day my pet rabbit Thumper died. She was no Fanny if you get my drift.
      J xx

      Delete
  2. That's so funny, love your honestly! I'm sure your lovely Mum had lots of other talents to make up for the cooking!

    ReplyDelete

My Journey To Health - A Morning Walk

Up early this morning, bedlinen on the line, yes the weather is holding. Booked my Zumba class for Monday week, you have to get up early to ...