Sunday 27 April 2014

Crafty Thriftiness,Organisation & Buttons

I was very lucky recently to be given four large, very old tins of buttons. Unfortunately they had been left in a garage for a number of decades and some of them sadly had deteriorated beyond use.

But with careful sifting, cleaning and polishing I saved a good deal of them. A lot are made from early plastics, some from glass and a few from jet. There are of course some bog standard ones but they will get used at some point. As will all of them, hopefully at one or more of my future workshops.

Silly to get excited about old buttons I know but it does it for me. I took great pleasure in colour matching them and putting them into sparkly clean Bonne Maman jars. I even managed to print off some free button jar labels to complete the job.





Here they are in their finished receptacles looking splendid and begging to be used.


Hello and welcome to the woolly dog blog who has joined my albeit small 'community' of followers.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I understand completely ... I can get VERY excited by buttons. I bought a small sackful at an auction once and my husband became more and more fed up by my gasps of delight as I sifted through them!! M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like heaven. When I was a little girl I would 'sort out' my Mum's buttons and thread them on cotton, then take them off and start again with a different colour combo. Simple minds eh?

      jean x

      Delete
  2. Old buttons were the first thing I started collecting - an antique dealer living next door to my great grandmother used to dig them into his garden to get rid of them until my mum told him we could make use of them in our sewing projects. I wonder if anyone has discovered them yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a funny thing to do :) It will be very puzzling for whoever does find them.

      Jean x

      Delete
  3. I understand the compulsion totally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that was a nice gift! Looks like you got some nice ones too, even if you never used them they look great in the jars!

    ReplyDelete

Time Travelling

On our way to Mr. Straw's house the Mr and I popped along to take a look at Clumber Park. It is a 3,800 acre estate set within Sh...