Sunday 13 April 2014

Iceland's Landscape and Weather

I have to admit the Icelandic landscape and weather quite often merged into one big pool of grey. Yet in a strange way I enjoyed that. The same way I enjoy going to places like Dungeness. The stark difference is enjoyable........ for a while.

We did have some sunny weather, the day we visited Laugardalslaug, the local thermal pools was very bright and FRESH especially between the hot pools.



When we rode the Icelandic pony trail through the volcano and glacier-shaped landscape the wind and rain lashed us, but we were kept warm and cosy in full waterproofs.

I had riding lessons in my teens and thoroughly enjoyed being back on a horse (they're not as small as they look though). Once I managed to get on mine it was a breeze, literally.

The mister had no experience with horses but was still given the biggest one to ride. A gorgeous white beast who had an air of celebrity about him because he had been chosen to appear in some episodes of Game of Thrones, as Jon Snow's horse. The mister was very pleased and rode well.





Unfortunately the weather did stop us seeing the Northern Lights on this visit but I would love to travel to other Nordic countries, so we may get to see them yet.

6 comments:

  1. The pictures look enticing - love the ponies who appear to be smiling. If you go with high expectations of seeing the Northern Lights then it could be a big let down, best to consider it a bonus if it does happen for you during a trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was our attitude Rosemary. We had a great time and I would defo
      recommend Reykjavik for a long weekend.
      Jean x

      Delete
  2. Fascinating - I wonder if I'm so hooked on Nordic countries, their crafts, art etc. (and their TV thrillers!) because Mr & Master N have something of the Viking about them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is it. My Mother was told her maiden name was a Viking surname and I definitely 'felt the pull' whilst we were in Iceland. Our boy can manipulate his hands in strange ways which I'm reliably informed is a Viking trait in men.
      Jean x

      Delete
  3. Hello, just popped over to say thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment. I will pop back to read some more of your posts. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear all about your adventures in Iceland. Sounds like such an interesting spot, would love to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete

Time Travelling

On our way to Mr. Straw's house the Mr and I popped along to take a look at Clumber Park. It is a 3,800 acre estate set within Sh...