Sunday 21 September 2014

Sir Roger, Peggy, Jenny, Trixie & A Cheeky Monkey

My lovely eldest brother John, lives in Australia, and has done for many, many years. I miss him a lot so it's always very special when he comes over to visit the UK. He and his wife left this morning after staying with us for five nights. (Sad face).



But It's been a really fun-filled packed week. We had a bit of a family get together in Battersea on Wednesday. Thursday we visited Hever Castle during the day and then popped into Brighton for 'An Evening With Sir Roger Moore'.

I have very fond memories of watching him when I was a child, playing the debonair Simon Templar in the tv series 'The Saint'.


Sir Roger is 86 now, so was a little bit creaky getting in and out of his chair on stage, but had no trouble remembering every tiny detail about his life and film and tv career. He is a fabulous raconteur, and entertained us all evening with his great sense of humour and his gracious manner. Yes, I am a teeny bit in love with him now.

Friday we went to the seaside and took in the Peggy Angus exhibition at the Towner Gallery. Just made that in time as it finishes today.

Then yesterday we bombed it over to Chatham Dockyard for the 'Salute to the 40s' event.


The Dockyard also stars as the East End backdrop in the filming of 'Call Out The Midwife'. Here is a pic of me on the right as Trixie Franklin and my besty Prof as Jenny Lee. Good innit?

I brought another friend home with me yesterday too. Here he is after a little mend and wash, hanging in the greenhouse to dry.





11 comments:

  1. Must comment on this.....Whilst l can still see the
    screen...! HeHe!
    Thankyou once again Jean for your kindness!

    Yes! I'm a big fan of Roger Moore. I always felt he
    was the only person to take over from Sean Connery!
    As he played the part very much like the Saint!
    From then on the actors that played Bond...Were
    rubbish....ALL of them..! Just like the recent Dr Who
    actors....Rubbish...ALL of them! AND...So! ugly! And,
    sick looking!
    HeHe! Bring back Tom Baker!

    And, Yeah! love the chimp....Cool look'in dud!
    Swinging Man...Swinging...! Right On! For the
    Darkness! Right on! :>).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're having a ball Willie. Congratulazioni e buon compleanno.

      Jean
      x

      Delete
    2. Grazie! Grazie!
      HeHe! not only the ball...But the bat as well!
      And, yes, great weekend....I am now gonna cook
      a little breaky...And sit myself out on the patio, and,
      enjoy!
      Ah! Che Bellezza!

      Delete
  2. Busy, busy Jean :o) Funnily enough I heard Mr Bond on the radio the other morning talking about making the bond movies- I do love listening to his voice. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roger Moore is really interesting to listen to. I love seeing him being interviewed. I remember being frightened of those monkeys when I was a child.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both you & LDJ scared of the toy monkeys, how different we all are. I absolutely adored both of the toy monkeys I had in the 60s. I had a huge one that would come riding on my red scooter with me and a smaller one that I took out and about when we visited folk as a family. The little fellow on the washing line is a keeper. I'll have to think of another name for him other than Jacko, as both my youngest brother and my son are called Jack.

      Jean
      x

      Delete
  4. Ahhh sir roger moore....superb and don't you think actors are the bestest story tellers??
    Me too those monkeys were creepy I preferred tiny tears thank you very much!!
    bestest to you
    Daisy J xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit to not being the biggest fan of Roger Moore. I'd rather have the monkey! I still have a Jacko monkey like that from my childhood, although he has no clothes and only one eye now! M x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like 'Countryside Tales' I also heard him being interviewed on the radio the other day, he was great as the saint, I bet we're all whistling the intro now, those of us of a certain age that is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the "Midwife" photo - what fun!

    ReplyDelete

Time Travelling

On our way to Mr. Straw's house the Mr and I popped along to take a look at Clumber Park. It is a 3,800 acre estate set within Sh...