Tuesday 3 March 2015

Smile

There is so much bad news and cruelty being displayed throughout the world just now. I don't need to list all the grisly goings on, I'm sure you know what I mean. I thought I would highlight two initiatives that have helped me see the bright side of life.

Firstly The Scandinavian Kitchen team have linked up with a charity called Magic Breakfast. The charity works with schools in deprived areas to identify children who are in need of a good breakfast before the school day starts. Sadly 1 in 3 children in England go to school with an empty stomach.

They provide porridge, bagels, toast and cereal. It gives the children the best possible start to the day. For every bowl of porridge bought at the Scandi Kitchen they will donate a breakfast to children in need via the charity.

Image Jessie Willcox Smith

The other project that brought a smile to my face was the Eagle Street Rooftop Farm. Set high up on the roof of an office building in New York, is an organic garden, founded a few years ago, it now supplies nearby restaurants with all their vegetables. They simply bicycle over their orders. The public can shop there too and they also have educational and volunteer programmes. A real community success story. Everyone working together, just how I like it. If you click on the link you can watch a very sweet little film all about it.


I like to think the Green Giant might help out at weekends.

6 comments:

  1. Two great projects there, but so sad that the Magic Breakfast is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Jean. Just what we all need- some lovely positive tales of what kind folks can achieve for one another. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great community projects that are making a real difference. I agree with Chickpea that it is so sad that the magic breakfast is necessary, one in three is a very high statistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder why it is that children are not fed before going to school, can it be solely about money or is there something deeper?

    My parents were as poor as church mice but we were fed four times a day, breakfast, dinner, tea and supper. The first and last were cereal or toast, but even so, we were never hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jean, I needed that! I must say I've found it difficult not to become sad and "there's no hope!"-ish over the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic thing they do. It really saddens me to think one in five children go to school hungry. It's just heartbreaking. That is a cause worth supporting.

    ReplyDelete

My Journey To Health - A Morning Walk

Up early this morning, bedlinen on the line, yes the weather is holding. Booked my Zumba class for Monday week, you have to get up early to ...